Thursday, April 3, 2008

It's been two days?

I feel like I've been in Japan for a month, but in reality it's only been two days. Two very long and draining days of train rides, shopping, and all the boring school stuff.

I spend most of my waking hours with three other girls who live in my dorm and attend Sophia -- Natasha (Australia), Kristine (California), and Saniya (Illinois). The three of them speak better Japanese than I do, which is a very good thing for me. They're awesome and I'm glad we get along well together.


Saniya, Kristine, and Natasha

Yesterday was orientation day. All the foreign exchange students sat through a lengthy presentation of deans and department heads, welcoming us or telling us where their offices are or why they are important to our learning process in Japan. I got a load of papers and booklets of things that I know I might look at once. These Jesuit universities love their paperwork. The list of clubs and circles on the Sophia campus was entertaining to read. The Soccer Club had a one word description for their group: "soccer." Intentional? Not sure.

I met a few new people. The Oizumi gakuen girls had a few connections to a group of gaijin boys, and we all got train passes together. We all stick out so badly, but I knew we would. Jim, one of my Creighton classmates, commented that the group of guys are the only ones on the train talking loudly and making a scene, and he feels like he gets stares.

Today we had our language placement test. I got through most of the beginner section alright, but I couldn't even read the higher level stuff so I didn't bother. Even the other Oizumi girls had a hard time with the higher level test material, and they're far more advanced than I am. Jim and I have accepted our lack of Japanese skills and look forward to 111 or 150, no transfer credit.

Later we went to Harajuku, and marveled at all the crazy things people wear and sell. I never noticed idol shops before -- shops that are completely dedicated to putting pictures of teen idols (boy bands, pop stars, etc) on stuff and selling it. Very very creepy... and all the boys look like girls. None of us bought anything! Kind of sad really. We did have lunch at a Lottier(?), a burger and fries fast food chain, and the portions were too small for some. But the fries were good and I should have had a melon soda or something.

We went back to Jouichi for the exchange student welcome party. It wasn't much, but I learned some new words from people and got to exercise what little Japanese I know. Walking through the cherry blossoms along the school road was much more interesting.







Natasha says the cherry blossoms bloom once a year, and die ten days after they open. So we're very fortunate to be able to see the trees when they're all pretty, since they won't be in about a week. I feel dumb for not being able to remember the word the Japanese use for this kind of temporary, fleeting beauty... it'll bug me until I remember.

EDIT: It's aware or awaremono. Look it up.

Tomorrow - adventures from the municipal office.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carly, good to see you settling in. Introduce yourself to Professor Tak Watanabe in the Faculty of Liberal Arts (Ichigaya Campus). Say hi for me!

    best,
    Chris Gerteis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carly,

    The myths of a myriad culture steeped in the past;
    Over two thousand years did it last--
    From the ancient to the modern;
    From the rickshaw to the shinkansen.

    Uncle Gil and Aunty Grace

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.