Sunday, May 11, 2008

Dorm Party

Today the dorm manager and dorm mother threw a party for all the residents! I'm not sure why today was chosen, we've all lived here for over a month and it's Mother's Day but whatever. And at 1130am on a Sunday morning, most of the girls were in their pajamas.

They bought us all the junk food I've been craving -- KFC (they call it something like kenta in Japan, short for Kentucky), Pizza Hut, burgers and fries. I grabbed pizza without really looking at the toppings, and bit into tuna, corn, peppers, and some kind of ham.






Note the lack of SPRITE. I miss lemon-lime soda.

Dorm manager put out some beer and brought out some sort of mini-keg. He was a little tipsy by the time we started taking pictures. After we all had our fill of drinks and food, we played bingo! No pictures of it, but I got some sort of gift card or phone card.




The Americans and Australian in the back making a scene.


With the dorm mother.


Ashlie, Christina, me, Natasha, and Rakellie with the dorm manager.

About halfway through the fun, dorm manager decided that we should all introduce ourselves. Everyone was very pleased and/or amazed that the Americans spoke enough Japanese to do introductions. I always get big gaijin points for being from Hawaii. It turns out most of the other girls in the dorm are from Taiwan and they all speak Japanese very well. My language skills are still lacking but I feel like I can understand more, even if I can't speak well.

Friday night, I went with Jim and Kaori to an izakaya. It's a restaurant/drinking establishment where you go in with a bunch of friends, sit at a table on tatami mats (you get your own room if you book in advance), and order alcohol and pupus. The place we went to felt a bit classier than a bar, and it was certainly more relaxed than going to a restaurant since you're sitting on the floor getting tipsy. Jim and I told Kaori that when you eat in America, you go "NOM NOM NOM." It's only true in LOLcats, but it got a good reaction out of her.



Next weekend there's a big festival at Asakusa, so I might have even *more* pictures from the temple. Otherwise it looks to be a dreary, rainy week of school.

1 comment:

  1. that's so nice of your dorm manager and mother! lol ummm that pizza.. sounds gross.. but knowing me.. i'd like it it the tuna was unsalted. LOL

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.