Wednesday, September 21, 2011

JLPT!!!

A little while ago I was looking at job postings around the internet out of curiosity. Seems like there's an abundance of English teaching positions, but I was also looking at other industries. "I have my journalism/advertising degree sitting in a frame or folder somewhere in Hawaii," I thought, "maybe it's time I try to use it."

To my dismay, I need business level Japanese for most of the positions I found. My Japanese is terrible and I hate kanji, but I need to study all that in order to get out of the English teaching profession.

With that in mind, I'm going to torture myself and study for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test! HUZZAH.

The JLPT is a biannual exam, although only those of us living in Japan have the opportunity to take it twice a year. As for everyone else, you get one shot in December to prove your J-skillz.

Uh oh.

The total cost for the application and fee will come out to 6000yen for me, don't know about overseas. I bought the 500yen application at a bookstore and I have yet to send it in, but I will! I have until September 30 to get that thing postmarked and on it's way to whatever magical place processes them.

If you're like me, living in Japan and sucky at Japanese and really wanting to get better, I encourage you to take the test! I'm taking the disgustingly easy N4 (kanji/laziness hold me back from higher levels) and I hope I can get up to N3 by next July when they have the next one.

LOOK I EVEN BOUGHT A BOOK AND EVERYTHING TO STUDY.

OMG KANJI.

And now that I put this on the internetz I HAVE TO DO IT OTHERWISE I'LL LOOK LIKE A BIG IDIOT. GO ME.

3 comments:

  1. You can do it! I'm thinking of taking it next year (because it's really poorly timed for me! It's the weekend before finals and I would have to go to California to take it! Ugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ko-chan Aaah that does suck! I hate studying... I always sort of cruised through school and college on like 40-60% effort with good results. I can't do that with Japanese XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dy-na-mite! Behind you 100%. It'll be tough, but like totality rewarding! -Homare Sawa fan

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.