Thursday, October 6, 2011

Conversations with My Students: Wedding Cakes

*I don't want to talk about WORK necessarily, but I think it would be fine for me to share some of the funnier things my students tell me. It's sometimes very enlightening!*

My grandmother student is one of my favorites. I showed her an article about superstitions related to food, like making wishes on birthday cakes and how it's bad luck to spill salt. At one point the article talked about how couples in America sometimes take the top tier of the wedding cake home, freeze it, and eat it on their first anniversary for good luck.

Google Search is so great.

Grandma recalled going to a wedding some years ago at a hotel. "The hotel server cut a very small piece of the base of the cake for each person and you could eat that. The rest of the cake was fake, only to look at!"

WHAT.

"Maybe you can take pictures of the bride and groom cutting the cake. It's only for entertainment."

I told her the cake is almost as important as the dress to some people (it certainly will be for me om nom nom). People spend a lot of time and money on the cake's design and flavors, and many couples hire specific bakeries to make them.

"You hire bakers? Wow, so amazing. Sometimes the bride and groom make the cake themselves!"

If I'm planning a wedding WHEN WOULD I EVEN HAVE TIME TO BAKE A CAKE.

"At weddings maybe there are better desserts. You don't have to only eat the cake."

I can't imagine.

2 comments:

  1. Hunh, I tried to post a comment yesterday but failed! Anyway, the whole non-cake dessert thing at weddings weirds me out. Perhaps there have just been too many lame wedding cakes, and Japanese cake in general can be kind of lame (though their non-cake desserts can be mind blowing.)

    Also: http://comedians.jokes.com/greg-behrendt/videos/greg-behrendt---cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. We PWN the Japanese with out lavish, crazy, expensive wedding cakes. And your link doesn't work :(

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.