Saturday, May 24, 2008

So many snacks!

If there is one thing that I know I'll miss about Japan when I go back, it would be the awesomeness of Japanese junk food. Over the last two weeks or so, I've been trying all the different flavors of Pocky, Pretz, and Kit-Kat that I can find that do not look absolutely repulsive.

Green Tea Kit-Kat: I enjoyed it, despite the dipped-in-snot look. I didn't notice any big taste differences between any of the Kit-Kats, but I suppose this one is the least sweet. Japanese McDonald's Green Tea and Oreo McFlurry tastes more like green tea than this.







Azuki Bean Kit-Kat: Good, but tasted mostly like white chocolate. The outside has little bits of red bean sprinkled on top.



Banana Kit-Kat: These don't come in bars like the other two flavors I tried, but rather in little bite-size pieces. SUPER SWEET and kind of like a banana milkshake. I can only find them at the 7-11 at school so I think they're phasing them out.



Strawberry Pocky: This isn't the typical strawberry frosting pocky you'd find at Shirokiya -- according to the box, this Pocky has 28% kaniku (fruit flesh) in the frosting. It's about 150yen for a box that has four packages of five sticks. Sweet and a little tangy but I don't like paying that much for 20 pocky sticks.



Brazilian Pudding Pocky: I have no idea what "Brazilian Pudding" is really supposed to taste like, but it's okay. I thought it was like banana flavored frosting with stripes of chocolate frosting? I have no idea. Pretty packaging, though.



Spicy Chicken Beer Pretz and Endoumame Pretz: Awful. At first I kind of liked the Beer Pretz (it says "Spicy Chicken" in the little flame part), but after three sticks it started tasting like burnt popcorn. I have not had them with beer though, so maybe I will in the future. I didn't even have a full stick of the other flavor before I decided it was simply disgusting.



Galbo Mini: I was hungry before class and these strawberry frosting covered chocolate cookie things looked interesting. Really, they're just gross. The cookie was bitter and stuck to the roof of my mouth, and the strawberry frosting was too tart.



Midterms are fast approaching, and I have no idea what's going on in my political science class. I think it might have to do with the fact that a lot of my notes look like this:



Sorry if there are swear words or anything. Ashlie and I always sit at the back of the class, and those three guys I drew (very badly) are usually somewhere around us. There are five or six of them and they sleep, read books, or whisper in a polite Japanese manner as to not disturb anyone around them. Last class two of them were speaking Japanese, but somewhere in the Japanese I heard an exasperated swear word in English ("[Long string of Japanese]... F***!!!"). Bilingual fluency at its best.

I'll soon be at the half-way mark for my study abroad term. Two months left to master some Japanese!

2 comments:

  1. A veritable cornucopia of snack-alicious delectations!

    I wonder if these are a result of a Japanese pressure to have strange confectionery concoctions on store shelves, or companies like Nestle putting out things like Green Tea Kit Kat because they think the Japanese want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. some look really good (actual strawberries inside. mmm...) and some look really.. not (kit kat 0_-).

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.