Sunday, July 20, 2008

I met another Fujiyoshi

Desperate to get out of the dorm last night, I headed to Ikebukuro to wander around. After getting off the train, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Suimasen..."


Yeah, like I can read where you live.

I half expected to see someone I know, the other half expected to see some little old lady about to ask me something. It's happened before. Instead I got a short little Japanese guy in his 20's carrying a ton of athletic equipment. Conversation in Japanese as follows:

"Do you speak Japanese?"
"Uh... my Japanese isn't great..."
"You have Fujiyoshi on your back."
"Yeah."
"My last name is Fujiyoshi, like on your back." *shows me an ID card, with the same lucky wisteria characters I have*
"Really?"
"So why do you have that?"
"It's my name. I'm fourth generation (implying I'm ethnically Japanese but not Nihonjin) half Japanese."
"Oh, I see. *Takes out keitai* Can I take a picture of it?"
"Yeah, sure."

At least he didn't hit on me. I want to go to Kabukicho one night and wander around with my tattoo showing, maybe I'll get a yakuza come up to me and speak their harsh yakuza dialect.

3 comments:

  1. at least now you know for sure the kanji is correct. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so random and cute. he seems nice. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite hilarious! BTW, i love your blog, if only i'd known about it earlier.

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.