Friday, March 18, 2011

Back to Work

Despite the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear crisis, the corporate whip continues to be cracked and I returned to work yesterday. I know many people in the company wished they had more time off to deal with everything, but just for myself I was kind of happy to have something to do other than watch the news all day. The trains aren't running at full capacity so I don't feel comfortable going really far into Tokyo, and the blackouts just make life so much more hectic than necessary. Complain complain complain, I know.

Having class was kind of nice; I had some of my favorite students come in so it wasn't a hard day. One of the girls came in with her stuffed animal dog, and none of her other classmates came so I had her bring the dog into class and I had two students. Around 5:15 one of my Japanese coworkers started running around like a mad woman, and it wasn't until after my class ended at 5:50 did I find out we were going to have a blackout in 30 minutes. GREAT. I left and ran home to make dinner before the lights went out. Power was out for about three hours, which meant I had electricity in time to watch Arashi on TV!!!

Yes, this is a weekly segment on the show.

I was flabbergasted to find out at least two of my fellow trainees will be leaving Japan, one of whom will be gone maybe two weeks. Of the ten in my group, they live THE FARTHEST from the disaster areas. Did I mention I live the closest and I do not fear for my life because there is no reason for me to be afraid? Because I am 150 miles from the reactors and will probably never be evacuated because the *radiation* will have almost no effect on me where I am? That this has been repeated by authorities in and out of Japan? Well I just did so now you know. I can understand leaving for good more than I can understand leaving for a week and coming back. Pardon my French, but shit is not going to magically get better in two fucking weeks. You will, at some point, have to develop the mental and emotional defenses for dealing with the crisis because IT ISN'T GOING TO GO AWAY ANYTIME SOON. If you can't do that and decide to leave, that's one thing. Going home and coming back "when it's better..." you'll be gone a damn long time.

Adding to the panic is also about the worst thing you could do. The western media is hyping this up and stirring up as much fear as they possibly can, and I feel like a lot of people are overreacting. There is no panic in the streets of Tokyo, people aren't developing third arms or fifth eyes. Nuclear Reactor Boy has not taken a poop yet. Y'all in California and Hawaii need to be sending all that iodine you bought to Fukushima because it isn't going to do anything for you over there. I don't know how the airports are right now, but even if I were thinking about leaving, I'd do it a little later. Embassies are trying to get their nationals out of the affected areas and I'm not about to take up a seat on an airplane that someone else needs more than I do. 

And in this FEAR and HYPE, I honestly feel that some people are forgetting about those who have been most affected. Pray for the people you know and make sure they're okay, but don't forget about the people you may never know who desperately need your support. Keep buying the shirts and the wristbands, keep texting the charities. Those things make a difference, no matter how small or insignificant you feel you contribution may be.

My own mother sent me a whopping 29 cans of tuna yesterday, even though I've told her I'M FINE I'M FINE I HAVE FOOD I HAVE MONEY DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME every time I've talked to her. I will eat each can feeling very loved~ I hope she sent me a cookbook with all those cans.

1 comment:

  1. i agree. i think a lot of people have forgotten about those being most affected. it's sad. my own sister bought a shit ton of anti-radiation shit and was contemplating cancelling her flight to CA because some reports said the radiation would hit there friday. i was disgusted, but whatever.. she's stubborn and cares too much about what others are doing for me to convince her of anything else. i'll just keep donating since that's all i can really do. take care, lisle. eat up on all that tuna! <3

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.