Sunday, March 6, 2011

They're paying me to teach kids English. Oh lawd.

I have successfully (for the most part) completed my first week at work. Oh what, I didn't post anything about training or my awesome days off? Meh. Recap:

Training was intense but ultimately worth it. I never learned how to deal with kids - I was an only child for most of my life and I never took much interest in kids younger than me. Honestly I had little interest in kids my own age, even now, because I am just anti-social like that. Training gave me the tools to teach, or at least enthusiastically play with, kids, and maybe slip in some education here and there. I'm not a certified professional, I work for a private company that advocates only its own teaching methods. I still feel like I know next to nothing, but it was less than nothing before training.

Tracy and I went on a little day trip to Hiroshima before training started. It was a gorgeous day, not too cold or windy. We wandered around the Hiroshima Peace Park, visited the museum and the Genbaku Dome, and made it just in time to take some fabulous pictures at Miyajima Shrine. Checked all those off the bucket list.

Bomb detonated about there.

Letter of protest over nuclear testing to Obama. Political sad pandas.

So instead of a shit ton of nukes, maybe we just have a ton.

Ignore that it's sideways. LOOK AT US AT THE SHRINE.

I met some cool people in my training group, yet only a few of whom live in greater Tokyo so I won't be seeing most of them until... forever. I met someone with MY NAME (my nickname, Carly), so we had to differentiate ourselves by our favorite food. I was Spam, she was Steak. We had a third Hawaiian besides Tracy and I, who maybe sort of stalked us at customs. And a Canadian. If Canada is filled with Canadians like her, I might consider moving there and be constantly entertained by crazy shenanigans and cute accents eh. Also made friends with some of the Japanese trainees staying in the dorm, a few guys hoping to be teachers and a bunch of girls going into management. We did model lessons for each other~

WHO WILL MAKE IT OUT OF JAPAN ALIVE???

Did I mention that OMG MY FIRST WEEK OF WORK IS DONE. I LIVE. BARELY.

I had one really bad baby class but the rest were all right. I'm sure I'll be absolutely drained next week, physically and mentally, since I'll be teaching ALL the classes rather than a few of them. I've already got a list in my head of some of the more bad-interesting things I've seen and heard. Also have a list of initial favorites TEE HEE. I'm sure even professional teachers have favorites, right? And I'm not even a professional so pshhh I'm totally allowed to like the cute ones more.

There's other photos on my camera that I can't be bothered to upload right now. I AM TIRED. GOODNIGHT.

2 comments:

  1. I know this post is a year old but I was wondering what company you work for as an English teacher. I am very interested in becoming an English teacher in Japan and have looked at various companies but I am not sure who to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to email me at carly.sensei@gmail.com. Be warned, I don't have any spectacular *insider* information but I'll try to answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.