Monday, March 14, 2011

Update Post-Earthquake

In my humble opinion, the situation in Japan has not gotten any better. 

Experts continue to say that we're probably going to experience more strong aftershocks, 7.0 and higher on the Richter scale and above a 5 on the Japanese scale. I don't even know what's going on with the nuclear power plant in Fukushima but it's not under control yet.

The government had scheduled blackouts for most of the Kanto area, which is made up of Tokyo prefecture and the surrounding areas. There are currently five different groups that each have different scheduled blackout periods. The blackouts were supposed to be about 4-5 hours long, but the government didn't enforce most of them today, thankfully. My area had three different groups listed, way to be specific TEPCO!

Maybe I won't have power ALL DAY *yay*.

I think all of these things combined sent people into a bigger panic than necessary, because the convenience stores and grocery stores have absolutely nothing on the shelves. Even the vending machines are all out of water. I was with Tracy yesterday, wandering around Yokohama station, and all the food vendors didn't seem to have any problems. Starbucks' bakery in the station had more than enough baked goods, certainly more than I'd seen in one place since the earthquake. All the restaurants were open for business as usual.

Today was a completely different story at my grocery store. I don't think it gets this bad in Hawaii when we have tsunami or hurricane warnings.

Prepackaged soup aisle.

No fresh meat products.

A group of lonely Pepsi bottles.


There were some things still stocked but these are the three photos that wanted to upload properly. There was no rice, instant ramen, pasta, meat, seafood, or water. Most of the frozen food was gone. The dairy section had some cheese and butter left. Some juice boxes and small bottles of soda were left (I got two bottles of C.C. Lemon). LOTS AND LOTS OF BOOZE I was tempted to buy some and get drunk by myself, but I held myself back from the 1000yen gallon-sized bottle of sake.

I went up to the second floor to see if people bought up medications, but the pharmacy section was already closed and covered up. There were no baby diapers and most of the feminine needs aisle was empty (did buy two little boxes JUST IN CASE). I was kind of curious to see if the condoms had all been bought out, since blackouts tend to provide population booms haha.

I am hoping that in the next few days rescue and recovery efforts in the northern region continue and we get some happy news of survivors. I read one man was rescued nine miles out at sea, he is on my list of BAD ASS PEOPLE who are AMAZING. Things desperately need to get better, I don't know how I'll survive if the current situation continues. I have enough groceries to last me a while, I have power and heat and everything I need. But at some point I will have to buy bread or catch the train somewhere or SOMETHING. 

Trying my best to stay positive!

IF YOU CAN, PLEASE HELP

Donations can be sent to:

Mercy Corps via Peace Winds Japan
Convoy of Hope --- text TSUNAMI to 50555 to donate $10
The Red Cross --- text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10
Save the Children --- text JAPAN or TSUNAMI to 20222 to donate $10
The Salvation Army --- text JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 to donate $10

Lady Gaga is selling wristbands on her official site. HOW AMAZING IS SHE.

That's just a short list, you can Google to find more.

If you are IN JAPAN, don't feel helpless! You can do plenty:

- Conserve electricity. Blackouts may not be necessary if we use less.
- Donate blood. There will be a few stations with blood donation rooms, including Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Machida stations. (Please note there are restrictions)
- Give some cash at Lawson. They are accepting donations for Japan Red Cross until the 26th.
- Stay positive! We're all doing our best, so let's continue to do so until this crisis is properly dealt with.

1 comment:

  1. stay safe, lisle. and please keep updating when you can. i'm glad you've managed to stay positive thru all of this. keep it up! <3

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.