Tuesday, May 10, 2011

GW 2011 Part 2

I have no idea how many parts this GW series will be, but given the amount of photos for this one it will be quite a few!

On Sunday of Golden Week I went to Mt. Takao, the highest point in the greater Tokyo area! It is a mountain and in nature and all of that, but hiking Mt. Takao is like saying you're hiking Diamond Head - you're not really *hiking* most of it because it's paved. The official website notes that much of the park is wheelchair accessible, and I did see one or two people in wheelchairs enjoying the scenery. There are trails that require a bit of athleticism and proper footwear, but I walked around in bright pink tights and knee-high leather boots with no problem. I figured I couldn't possibly be more inappropriately dressed than the ladies who go up Diamond Head in their Sunday best.

Before entering the park, we ate at a little noodle shop at the foot of the mountain. I ate a big bowl of vegetable soba, which I swear tasted EXACTLY like Zippy's saimin. The texture of the noodles, the broth, EVERYTHING. I WAS SHOCKED. I also really wanted some Sriracha sauce.

Needed a slice of Spam.

I did not go to the summit that day, as it was a bit rainy, but I got to see the temple and the monkey park. Both are located about half-way up the mountain, and you can get there by walking, cable car, or chair lift. My friend suggested we take the chair lift up, walk around and see stuff, and take the cable car back down. Seemed reasonable. Until I actually got on the chair lift:



No buckles, no seat belts, and just barely some netting and wood planks between you and the ground 100 feet below. If you dropped your camera or phone or iPod, LOL. And it wasn't just a few minutes to get to the top, it was at least 15 minutes at very steep angles. 

But the view from the top is well worth the harrowing trip up the mountain!

I think I live somewhere in this direction?



You can see ALL of Tokyo from one of the scenic points, even Tokyo Sky Tree on a clear day. It's absolutely gorgeous! 

A quick walk from this scenic point led us to the monkey park!!!!!! I WAS SO EXCITED FOR MONKEYS YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.




Not sure if you can see him, but #1 Boss Monkey should be in this photo. He's got patches of fur missing from all over his back from breaking up fights and putting bad monkeys in their place. According to the keeper, he attained Boss Monkey status after a baby monkey got trapped inside the electric fence around a tree and he was the only one brave enough to save him. 

I didn't get any photos of the temple, but it's like every other temple I've ever visited in Japan. We didn't get there in time to observe the monks performing daily chants, but it was still very nice.

On the way back down, I got some photos of the octopus tree. Its roots look like a big octopus, and they even put a nice marble octopus next to the tree in case you couldn't figure it out on your own. We took the cable car back down the mountain, which was also kind of scary but not fall-to-your-inevitable-death scary.


Look it's all slanty so it can go up and down the mountain!

We finished up at Mt. Takao in the early afternoon, so there was plenty of time to go see the Trick Art Museum down the road. I have no idea who thought it'd be a good idea to randomly put such a museum next to a mountain. Some of the more successful shots:




What a day! I couldn't tire myself out too much though, because I had to pack for Kyoto and Nara. Look forward to that post soon :)

1 comment:

  1. You were so smart to take the chair lift. We walked the whole thing. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done (and I live in Colorado and have climbed a few of our stupid fourteeners here.)

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.