Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Conversations with My Students: Despondent Teenager

I have one kid who sometimes is a pain but can be pretty hilarious if he's in a good mood.

Like many other kids his age, or really half of Japan, he's obsessed with One Piece. I asked him about his weekly schedule and he told me he always watches the anime on the weekends.


Me: On Sunday you watch One Piece?
DT: Yes.
Me: *Writes ONE PIECE on the board*
DT: WAIT WHAT NO I NO I. NOT ONE PIECE.
Me: This is how you spell One Piece, DT.
DT: No no no no... *Gets whiteboard marker* *Writes ONE PEASE* Wait what... what???? EH???
Me: OMG.
DT: *Double checks all his One Piece merchandise but can't find the name anywhere*
Me: IT'S ONE P-I-E-C-E.
DT: EH??? *Flips open his cell phone, fiddles for a good 2 minutes* Ah, ok One Piece. OK I.
Me: OMG. Sit down and open your textbook.

And that was one of his better days.

2 comments:

  1. love your post!! i once had a discussion- an actual discussion- about the spelling of my name. they were convinced that since my name sounded like "jeison" in japanese that it wouldn't be spelled 'JASON' in english. hehehe- i guess it can be hard to reason with a room full of half crazed seventh graders right before lunch!! keep up the good work sensei!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jason Thanks~ Most of the kids I have that are 7th grade are okay, IDK what happened to Despondent Teenager lol. My coworker has some of her kids convinced she is a black belt in karate XD

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.