Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Obituary of a Handbag

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to celebrate the life of a purse.

I don't know if anyone else is as sentimental about things they've had for a long time, but it does give me pause to throw things out. It makes no sense at all and getting into such a habit will only land me a prime time spot on a hoarding show.

Still... :(


I've had this bag since I was in high school. I must've gotten it when I was working at Ala Moana for the first time, I probably bought it with one of my first paychecks. It's from PacSun, could not have cost more than $25.

For most of the last few years it's been sitting pretty in a plastic container in Hawaii. Never brought it with me to college, though I started using it regularly when I went back home. I asked my mother to send it here because Tokyo is not a city where you can carry around a little clutch and survive. You need a big bag to carry around your wallet, keys, makeup (damn eyelashes will not stay in place all day), cell phone, camera, electronic dictionary, book for the long train ride, all kinds of crap.

The Tokyo lifestyle wasn't very nice to my bag, though.



I know $25 doesn't seem like a lot, but it is almost painful to hand over that kind of money when you're working for $6.25 an hour (before taxes!) at a big chain retail shop in a busy mall. I suppose half my problem with throwing away stuff like this is that I know how hard I worked to get it. In the grand scheme of things, it does not matter that I throw a cheap PacSun bag away at age 24 because I'm sure I'll have to part with much more expensive things later in life. The fact that I dropped almost $100 on a mustard yellow replacement also means I don't need this bag cluttering up my apartment in the present.


I will miss you, bag. You were a good bag. I already wish my buttery-smooth expensive bag would sit in a better position against my butt. I will bid you adieu when I figure out what day of the week the garbage man takes precious items that deserve proper funerals but cannot be buried properly :'(

2 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel, I have the same thing with coats :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. eheheh... i once made a R.I.P. my shirt post about my favorite party shirt/dress thing that i'd wear all the time to go out and it had become too stretched out to wear anymore and i was SO sad. lol. so i know how you feel.

    that said, you are a big girl now and cheapy 24$ purse needs to go. let's see the replacement then?

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.