Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Different Kind of Art

There's a little shop in Shimokitazawa that I love. I call it the box store, but that is not what they sell. Small-time jewelry makers and artists, probably people who just do it for a hobby, sell their wares in little wooden boxes that are stacked up to make a few aisles in a dimly lit store. It's all very cute and kitschy and wonderful, just as unique as the merchandise.

My favorite thing at this shop is the post card rack. Local artists draw or print up their own postcards to sell for about 150yen each. Each one I've purchased so far has come with the artist's contact information, like an email or website, so I know these aren't mass produced and available at LOFT or something. I know I won't find postcards like these anywhere else and I've been sending them to friends and family for a few months now.

I apologize for the terrible lighting in these photos, but the postcards are amazing.












Maybe it's lame but I've had a lot of fun choosing and sending each postcard. Writing them at work has also allowed me to look busy without actually doing anything! Yay productivity!

In other news, GOLDEN WEEK is upon us once again! Mama and Papa will be visiting me, I'm excited to see them and show them around my second home.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Where in Shimokita is this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH SOME LITTLE STREET IDK. I took pictures today and I think I know the name of the place now, so I'm gonna do another post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those postcards are gorgeous! I should explore Shimokitazawa a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.