Thursday, May 10, 2012

GW 2012: Deli & Baking, Co.

I spent this past Golden Week not doing anything particularly important with my parents. We didn't have a set agenda, so I had the opportunity to take them to some of my favorite spots.



One place I absolutely adore is this little bakery/restaurant in Shimokitazawa. This town is known for being the Japanese hipster capital; everything is really kitschy and unique. This place could very well be a chain for all I know, but PSH like it matters.






I stumbled across Deli & Baking, Co. last year sometime after the earthquake. I love this place in part because atmosphere is relaxed and comfy - you can grab a table and mosey on over to the counter to order when you're ready. It's like a cute little country cabin with lots of natural light and white-washed or wood furniture. A lot of restaurants and cafes in Tokyo are really cramped and dark, which might be appealing to some but I like the change of scenery here. The menu isn't fancy or extensive, though it is reasonably priced and a step up from a family diner. 

Lots of pancakes with a variety of syrups and butters OMG I'M GONNA GET FAT.

Herb chicken with ratatouille over rice and salad.

Mmm muffins.

Not a bad place to visit, assuming you can find it. I think I always take the west exit out of Shimokitazawa station, turn right at the gate, and follow the road that is opposite the side with Lawson. You'll pass the Village Vanguard diner along the way. Go eat there, my ma and pa enjoyed it.


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE shimokita!! I wish i lived closer to Tokyo so I could go and explore all those cool little places some more :(
    I'll have to go and check out this cafe next time I'm in the area~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say Shimokitazawa fits my personal style, but I like the atmosphere of the town. I've never seen it super crowded and everything is really chill and pretty.


    Get the pancakes with maple butter om nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, looks nice. i 
    want pancakes....

    and i love your dad and his aloha shirt... lol

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.