Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ridiculous Japanese Candy

So there's this certain Japanese YouTuber, RRcherrypie, who posts all kinds of amazing candy videos. I am nowhere near as talented as that guy, but I tried my hand at some of the easier (and cheaper!) candies he and other YouTubers have made.

First, this weird Neru Neru Nerune grape sprinkley maddness. One tray, 3 powder packages, one spoon thing. You mix the first two packages in one side to make this sugar paste and then dip it into the sprinkles from the third package. Fun and didn't make a huge mess, but it wasn't that great.


SO HAPPY!!!
Rip-off Jigglypuff/Kirby thing going on.








Next, a gummy-maker set! This one was far more complicated to put together but the gummy candies it makes are in fact pretty good. Top left package is the one I made. The tray with all the flavors mixed reminds me of a watercolor set from Crayola. I don't think I'd ever buy this one for my kid, the potential for a mess is far too great.





Advertising vs. reality.

Finally, the least delicious but most entertaining candy! You make the strange green liquid and pink foamy stuff in separate trays. Then in the green liquid you pour in some magical powder and slowly pull up a strip of candy. Dipping in the pink foam is optional.




I also did a different Neru Neru Nerune tray. This time it was peach paste with a peach dipping sauce, which was much more delicious than its grape counterpart despite its blood-like appearance.



Pretty good time for less than 500yen total. I found all of these at my grocery store and Seiyu in the candy aisle, purposefully located on the bottom shelf so kids will find them.

8 comments:

  1. Every once in a while I get sucked into a candy store again...last time I ended up with medicine shaped candy, poop shaped candy and some other weird stuff. I am much more a chocolate gal though and they don't seem to have quite as creative chocolate offerings.

    I've never seen this kind of make-your-own business before, though! I'm sure they have it here and I just wasn't looking. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the nostalgic, Showa-era looking candy shops, I always buy stupid things XD And they never taste as good as I remember them from when I was a kid.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, sooo much sugar! You must have been bouncing off the walls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have been but I can't stand THAT much sugar anymore. I did make a giant gummy when the sugar in the tray got low but we threw away the Neru ones after barely touching it.

      Delete
  3. I never knew candy has gotten so complex!! @_@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in Japan XD I never had anything this complicated in America!

      Delete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.