Thursday, March 22, 2012

Arashi Parfait and Vegetarian Ramen

This is a food post. I hope you don't mind.

Wandering around Shinjuku station this past week, I came across a parfait that is very relevant to my interests.


An Arashi parfait named after one of my favorite songs??? HECK YES I NEED TO EAT THAT. I went with my dears Tracy and Marissa to partake of the epic dessert. Cafe Est! Est!, home of this parfait, also bills itself as an establishment that employs very handsome j-boys. I'm not sure what else I could ask of a cafe.



Comes to your table with a sparkler!!!
As sparkly as MatsuJun!


OM NOM NOM!!!

Yes, that is an upside-down ice cream cone on my parfait.

And a slice of chocolate cake.



Hidden bonus: the cream puffs are filled with vanilla ice cream~

Our chocolate cake took a fatal spill.




Delicious~ and worth the 1250yen omg. The cafe made us order one item each, so we also ordered happy face fries to cut the sweetness and I got a milk tea. I do have one complaint -- my milk tea came to me as regular tea and the pretty boy handed me a non-dairy creamer to make it *milk* tea. Cheap bastards. But if you want to pay them a visit, go to the Odakyu department store in Shinjuku station.

Onto something savory~ There's a ramen shop chain, Kagetsu Arashi, that has a special limited-edition vegetarian ramen on their menu. Since it's very difficult to explain any sort of dietary restrictions to Japanese people, I was interested to try it. I'm definitely a carnivore and I was not expecting to enjoy this dish at all (I even ordered a side of gyoza in case it was a bust), but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was!

I've had their tonkotsu ramen before and I thought it was okay by Japanese standards, but the noodles were a bit thick for my tastes and the broth left my mouth feeling dirty. The vegetable ramen managed to keep an unmistakable ramen flavor with a lighter broth and thinner noodles. Aside from one very aromatic vegetable I couldn't identify, I liked the veggie ramen a lot more than the tonkotsu ramen.

Standard tonkotsu ramen for comparison. My new coworker had that one.

My Nana vegetarian ramen! Smelled like salad lol.


I have no idea what's in this!

Mmm vegetable broth~

Green noodles~

Seriously, it was delicious. It's a little pricey at 780yen a bowl, but OM NOM NOM GO EAT IT.

SPAM BONUS: This Lawson near Shinjuku station is clearly advertising SPAM MUSUBI.

10 comments:

  1. The cafe with the Arashi parfait made you each order one...thing? Holy smokes, can you imagine trying to eat one of those things by yourself???
    But I wanna go. Maybe I'll talk my friends into going during Golden Week. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. VEGETARIAN RAMEN!!!!
    OMG, must go eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They even have a 3-piece vegetarian gyoza set and some sort of veggie rice dish! PLEASE GO FIND A SHOP AND EAT.

      Delete
  3. Verdict:
    OMG why is this not an all-year round thing?!!!?
    It was soooo good, and I may go back and order 4 plates of the gyoza... because I can ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll go try the gyoza then! I definitely wanna eat the ramen again, made me feel temporarily healthy LOL.

      Delete
  4. hi carly! i originally found your blog a while ago while i was in the states and looking for advice about going to japan (i was going to japan as an international student). now i’ve been here for a while and i recently stumbled on your blog again aha! you find so many interesting food places and things to do that i haven’t found here yet! >.< hopefully i’ll run into you one day and you can tell me where to go for all this stuff!!

    -tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always looking for food and trouble! Feel free to DM me on Twitter~

      Delete
  5. hello again! haha i don’t have twitter so i can’t DM you... >.< all i got is an email LOL, i know, i’m tech lazy~ 

    -tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI this is only a month late, but you can email me at carly.sensei@gmail.com (I know it sounds kinda douchey lol)

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.