Sunday, July 1, 2012

Miss/Won't Miss #1

Things I'll Miss About Japan #1: Nostalgia in all the most random places

Some of the old cartoon franchises I grew up with are still alive and kicking in Japan. I've posted other random Dragonball goods, but this was a cool find.

I wanted to show my boyfriend the super lame drink vending machine that had all these weird sodas that I'd never heard of, and he was like WHOA DRAGONBALL SODA.

I thought they'd all be Goku, but then I GOT A SUPER SAYAN ONE AND WAS LIKE MAYBE I WON MONEY??? Nah, there's 9 cans in all. I also acquired the Trunks can later on.










Things I Won't Miss About Japan #1: The devastating lack of Sailor Moon anything/Pure Cure? EVERYWHERE

Given Sailor Moon's big revival in the states, I thought for sure I'd see some awesome Sailor Moon stuff in Japan. To date, I have seen NOTHING outside of collector's shops and used toy stores. No candy, soda, cell phone charms, trinkets, advertisements -- absolutely nothing.

Some of my older kids know who Sailor Moon is and sort of chuckle when I draw my really bad version of her on their homework. Girls my age all grew up watching it and even the guys know the theme songs. WHY CAN'T I GIVE MY MONEY TO NAOKO TAKEUCHI THE WAY I GIVE IT TO JOHNNY'S ENTERTAINMENT???

Of course, you know what I do see a lot of? THIS STUPID SAILOR MOON RIP OFF THAT I DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT.


Pure Cure? Pretty Cure? IDK! It's not Sailor Moon and there is no handsome Tuxedo Mask-type manly man, either. FAIL.

2 comments:

  1. "IDK! It's not Sailor Moon and there is no handsome Tuxedo Mask-type manly man, either. FAIL."

    THIS.

    I never really thought about it until you mentioned it but there really ISN'T any Sailor Moon stuff around anywhere is there? DD:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! I follow a bunch of hardcore Sailor Moon fans on Tumblr and I'm always like WHERE DO YOU GUYS GET THIS CRAP CUZ IT'S NOT IN JAPAN.

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.