Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Miss/Won't Miss #3

Things I'll Miss About Japan #3: Beauty Products I Didn't Know I Needed

Before coming here I had dabbled a little bit in wearing false eyelashes, but I wasn't really good at it and I didn't know anything about the different brands or styles. A year and a half later, I've come to love certain brands and am kinda picky when it comes to lashes.

Some of my boxes.

My current favorites!

I naturally have nice eyelashes. A good coat of mascara will get them to be noticeable and I don't *need* falsies, but they're so fun now! I have to give a shoutout to/place some of the blame on Caroline for this. She gave me a box of lashes she bought but weren't crazy about. I put them on and loved them so much I had my friends buy the same ones and they got obsessed with me.


Another random product I've come to love are powder sheets.


Now that rainy season is giving way to the humidity of summer, there's all kinds of powder sheets at the drug stores. They're like wet naps but they smell good and they make your skin feel powdery smooth and dry. They even have menthol ones to make you feel extra cool~ I have at least two different kinds in my bag right now. When did I start needing these? I don't know.

Things I Won't Miss About Japan #3: The Lack of Health and Beauty Products I KNOW I Need

Despite falling in love with a lot of Japanese make-up and beauty products, I haven't found replacements for everything. I stocked up on concealer and eye shadow primer before I left America, and I still ask my mom to send me Dior mascara (which I could buy here at a 30% price mark-up).

I miss the rows and rows of this stuff at Wal-Mart

I also don't mess around with my face wash, toothpaste, and over-the-counter medication. A few Japanese people have admitted to me that Japanese medications tend to be weaker (they don't go to certain clinics because they think the medication the doctors give is "too strong"), and the few times I have taken Japanese medication it's done squat to make me feel better. I'd rather have some genuine Nyquil sent to me so I can properly knock myself out, thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Oooooooooooh! I'm moving to Japan in a year and I'm trying to figure out what I need to stock up on.  Is the morroccian hair care system out there?  Here the set is like $10...and do they have the usual make up drug store brands there are in the States???  Like Cover Girl and Maybeeline?

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, i always buy 2 bottles of nyquil whenever i go home, and ask my mom to ship some over if i ever run out. i can't believe japanese people go to the hospital for a stupid cold, and the meds they give you there don't even work, so never mind the over-the-counter stuff... *sigh*

    also buy lancome mascara when i go home, eheheh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idk about your hair care system, but they have most big name drug store brands here. The product lines are different, though. Like they all have BB creams here, but they don't sell those in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IKR? Every time my friends have gone to the doctor, they're given a bajillion pills and an insane dosage schedule and they don't even get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah, like 4 different pills 3 times a day for like a 
    week... -_-;  oh, that reminds me of a not-so-funny story about the never-leaving UTI because they 
    wouldn't give me enough meds... *sigh* fun times... OH JAPAN...

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.