Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Coffee Prince Cafe + Space Izakaya

HI THAR. Just got home from Kyoto about an hour ago and here I am blogging about what I did... two weeks ago. Heh.

But for a moment let me rewind to about a month ago. Thursday nights are glorious in Japan, for that is when they air the only thing I really like watching - Himitsu no Arashi-chan. For the last few episodes the boys have been paired up and given a celebrity "date" for a day, and Sakurai and Ninomiya took some cute actress to the Coffee Prince Cafe in Shin-Okubo. Tracy and I happened to be watching and we were texting each other throughout the segment, kyaaaaa-ing and making plans to visit this glorious place.

In case you didn't already know, Coffee Prince was the title of a popular Korean drama that aired a few years back. I didn't watch it, but it was something about a girl pretending to be a boy and working at this cafe with handsome guys and she falls in love with one of them but he doesn't know she's a girl and whatever whatever whatever. The point is that this cafe is staffed by beautiful Korean boys who don't mind being gawked at.

Two whole floors~

It's across from 7-11 if you need to go find it~

2nd floor by the window.

Ignore Kevin, concentrate on the cute boy in the black blazer~

I told that one I didn't speak Japanese LOL.

Prime example of how very few Asian guys can look good with facial hair.
EDIT: Just remembered they seated four other gaijin right next to us after he cleaned the table.

The cafe is two floors of the building and you enter through the 3rd floor. The 3rd floor is where they filmed the Arashi program and where the more handsome staffers (in my opinion) work, so it's a lot busier. We opted for the 2nd floor because we didn't want to wait around. Most of the customers were girls my age, probably paying a visit for the exact same reason we were. 

The cafe menu consists of fairly overpriced coffee, waffles, and ice cream, but please don't kid yourself into thinking you'd go to this place for the food. Our coffee did come with characters drawn in syrup though:

I took the frog.

After oogling at Korean boys, we went drinking in Shinjuku. I feel like that should be the beginning of some awesome story of how one of us got arrested or deported, but really we all went home about 930pm. Our izakaya of choice was a theme izakaya and owned by the same people who run The Lock-up, but instead of jail cells we were blasted into spaaaaaceeee~

My cocktail was called an Earth.
No one ordered an Uranus.

Kevin and I looking creepy.

Tracy taking pictures of the stars in Marissa's drink.

I didn't get a photo but all the waitresses were dressed in provocative neon-colored space gear and fishnets while the guys were dressed in typical izakaya aprons. Not that I want to see most izakaya waiters in fishnets but they could've made a little bit more effort to look outer spacey.

Eventually I'll have to make some posts about GOLDEN WEEK and how EPIC it was. Seriously, I've spent so much money on train fare going places it's disgusting, but been well worth it.

4 comments:

  1. T o T omg I didn't know they had an actual place called that in Japan! I definitely want to visit it now! * O * Korean guys omg~~haha!!

    One of the things I'm most looking forward to is watching Japanese television! I can only access Arashi's show online but it's really hard to find! Same with Kanjani8's tv show! >_< Ninomiya is my favorite haha~

    Is Korean culture really popular in Japan nowadays? Since there are so many Korean artists coming over, I'm thinking so... but that's cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually there are TWO cafes, I don't know where the other one is lol.

    Korean dramas and the idol groups are fairly popular and, given that one of my older students regularly makes disparaging comments about Koreans, I think the positive exposure is good for this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I actually watched that drama. And I wanna go to the space izakaya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The drinks were pretty~ Could've done without the waitresses in neon fishnets tbh.

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.