Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Conversations With My Students: RUDE.

Teenage boys have a way with words.

Keep reading.

A way long time ago, I accidentally taught Slightly Racist Teenager the term "muffin top." Not one of my finest moments, but it was pretty funny. He brought it up again in class recently:

Me: Tell me a story. A funny story, like the time your friend had his crepe stolen from him by a crow.
SRT: Ah... *Thinks for a moment* On the news they have an English corner. They teach you words. Last week they had "muffin top."
Me: Oh no...
SRT: Yes and my mother said, "Oh I don't know that," but I knew *grin*.
Me: Of all the things I've tried to teach you...

Dearest Caroline relayed this one to me about one of her own Despondent Teenagers. We have lots of siblings at our school, and her DT has a younger brother who is a bit heavier.

Caroline: How are you?
DT: Tired.
Caroline: How's your brother?
DT: Fat.

And you know what his brother told me when I had him for a private lesson?

Me: Why do you like English?
Fat Younger Brother: *In Japanese* Because my brother does it.
Me: *Knowing about his brother's comment* Awwww you are so precious...

Recently the two brothers were in the lobby of the school together. Despondent Teenager came out from class and was none too happy that his younger brother was going on about something and very excited to see him. He quickly put on his shoes and went outside to get his umbrella, and I motioned to him to come back inside to wait for his brother.

INSTEAD he sticks his head in the door and says, "See you!" and waves goodbye to his poor little admirer.

Rude. Hilarious, but rude.

6 comments:

  1. YEAHHH boys will be boys in any language and country. That lil brother is too cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow....yup, sounds like teenage boys to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Xanny One night Caroline and I were sitting in the back office and we could hear someone's iPod BLASTING Arashi, and it was their mom XD

    @Ms. Godzilla Still haven't figured out why so many Japanese people don't seem to understand American sarcasm, since they're all so good at it as teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rude students, how was I happy when I got rid of them! I remember once a four year old student of mine told me she liked me better because the previous teacher was black. Seriously, kid could barely talk and was already making remarks on people's ethnic background. Gotta love those parents...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @A Yeah, I feel like a lot of kids (people in general, really) are exposed to foreigners and foreign culture solely through ridiculous stereotypes and nothing that is remotely true. And some kids are just assholes, sorry to say lol.

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.