Monday, December 12, 2011

Conversations with My Students: Fighting with Four-year-olds

Recently I got mad at a four-year-old. I usually get mad at four-year-olds for things like whining, crying, or generally being impudent, but this time it was over something more legitimate.

I teach one little girl who is very high-level and knows quite a bit of English. Her mother is fairly conversational and her grandmother speaks very well. The little girl knows the alphabet and knows the difference between uppercase and lowercase letters.

Obviously this child's name isn't Noob, but it's actually a very convenient substitute for her name.


Me: Okay Noob, where is little "o?" Like in your name, you have two, N-o-o-b.
Noob: No! (In Japanese:) That's not like my name.
Me: Excuse me? *Writes N-o-o-b on the board* *Points to "o"* Okay so this letter isn't "o?"
Noob: *Obviously thinking* (In Japanese:) It's "o" but not like my name.
Me: OMG. I promise you, this is how you spell your name.
Noob: No!
Me: OKAY FINE. *Hands her a board marker* How do you write your name?
Noob: *Writes N-O-O-B in all uppercase letters*
Me: OMG I am fighting with a four-year-old over letters...

Highlight of my English teaching career, obviously.

1 comment:

  1. I once had a fight with a five year old about her "English" name. She was Stephanie. She had been Stephanie for months. One day she came into class and announced that her name should be spelled "Stefhanie" because her mother was helping her with her phonics homework. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

The toes you step on today may be related to the butt you kiss tomorrow.